It’s getting to the time where I am due a phone refresh, so I thought “If I was given a lot of money, what tech would I buy?”. In true Jonny fashion, I then went away and read all of the reviews, to narrow down a winner in each section of what I consider “everyday tech”: Phone, computer, TV, headphones and gaming.

Anyone who likes tech, even a little bit, will sit there and covet the shiny new releases which seem to be happening annually now. This is literally my favourite past time. I spend hours upon hours reading endless tech reviews and dreaming of the day when I can take it all home with me. So now that I’ve started this blog, I thought it would be fun to put these dreams into words, and who knows, maybe these words will lead to the day where I will be given these shiny new things for free to review by companies *coughs* please? *coughs again*. So without further ado, lets kick things off!

Phone: OnePlus 5
Cred: OnePlus
I’m an Android boy, unashamedly. I have turned friends to the light side away from the Empire of iOS and I shall continue to fight the green corner for the foreseeable future. However, I do like efficiency and a quality user experience and sometimes that is a hard thing to find with Android. Manufacturers continually throw heavy skins and gigabytes of unnecessary bloatware into their phones and make it impossible to uninstall it and this annoys me. It’s my phone, let me choose what software I am going to use!

Enter, OnePlus.

They take stock Android, refine it slightly, open up a few more customisation options and put it on their phones. That’s it. Praise the lord.

The newly released OnePlus 5 won my heart before it was even announced, running on the back of the hugely successful OnePlus 3T. They had the software nailed down with all the features I mentioned above and speed (for Android at least) updates. The hardware was only ever going to improve, with a stronger processor, better camera (a weak point up until now for OP) and better battery life.

I’m not due a phone upgrade until the end of the year, I’m still intrigued as to what Google are going to do with the upcoming Pixel 2, however, for now my next phone will almost certainly be the OnePlus 5.

TV: Panasonic EX600B
Cred: Trusted Reviews

From what I’ve read, this TV seems to have the best of all worlds. It’s 4K, HDR TV available from 40 to 65 inches. The image is unrivalled for the surprisingly reasonable price of £650, and to top it all off, it has built in Firefox OS which, I have been well informed, is the best TV operating system out there. I see no downside, I’m sold.

Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum II Over-Ear
Image result for sennheiser momentum 2.0
Cred: CNET

I started on these headphones’ baby brother, the imaginatively named Sennheiser Momentum II In-ear’s. I love them, they are absolutely fantastic and I honestly didn’t know in-ear headphones could sound so good. But the time has come where I have limited use for in-ear headphones as I don’t travel around as much anymore and so I want something comfy that sound as good as possible.
Thus, the Over-Ear versions. They have the same style of sound, which is a-ok with me, but just sound better in all areas as you would expect. The only draw back as far as I can see is the price. £320 is an awful lot of money for a pair of cans, but this is a money-no-object list and so I want them. *stamps foot*

Computer: Razer Blade Stealth
Image result for razer blade stealth
Cred: Razer UK

OK, so the reason for the two choices here is that I can’t quite decide which model I want. It changes daily. I’m erring more to the Blade Stealth for reasons explained in the Gaming section and so the massively over-specced i7-7700HQ coupled with a Nvidia 1060 is overkill. I don’t need this amount of power; I don’t do any video/photo editing or heavy PC gaming so it seems like a bit of a waste of money as they start at an eye-watering £1800.

The Stealth, on the other hand, is much more reasonable at £1350 for the 13-inch version. It IS more reasonable, shut up. It still has an i7 7th Generation, but it’s only duel core as opposed to the quad core processor in the Blade, and doesn’t have a discrete graphics card. This is more my speed, plenty of power, but not excessive. Aside from the specs, it is also a super nice laptop. The screen is supposed to be class leading, the build quality on par with Apple, and the keyboard (with the shiny Chroma affect) is up there with the best for an ultrabook.

Gaming: PS4 Pro


Image result for ps4 pro
Cred: Trusted Reviews
I toyed with the idea of building a gaming rig. Many of my friends have started doing so and I was tempted for a while, but then I realised that the only game I play on PC is Civ, and so I just don’t need one. Hence why I went for the Razer Blade Stealth rather than something more powerful.

So this leaves us with the consoles, and for me it is a very simple choice; it has to be the PS4 Pro.

The reason for falling on the Sony side of the fence is that most of my gaming friends play on PS4. That’s basically it. The reason for the Pro over the regular PS4 is also very simple: Project Cars 2, in 4K at 60fps.